A Tumble Creek Farm Ewe

A Tumble Creek Farm Ewe
One of many

Wednesday, February 27, 2013

New Lambs Now, More Coming Soon

OUTSIDE ACTIVITIES: The sunny days are bringing the lambs. I pasture bred this year so the lambs are not quite as close together as in the past when I have done AI, but wonderful to see what the new rams have produced here at Tumble Creek Farm.

Last spring I purchased two rams--a yearling X1 offspring and a second generation lamb from Heddon Valley breeding. Here they are in their untrimmed splendor while in quarantine. They were intently watching the granddaughters running on the lawn so it was a good time to catch a few pictures. Lambs will be available from both of these sires in June.

INSIDE ACTIVITIES: Every once in a while I work, yes I actually go to work and earn a paycheck, for an auctioneer. I sit beside her and write down the important stuff--the description of the item, who buys it and for how much. That means that I really have to listen and pay attention to just her chatter even while the display personnel hand me the next item to get the info from the tag to try to be one step ahead. Usually the items for sale are western themed like bits and spurs, saddles, art, antique kitchen and houseware items, furniture, etc, but every once in a while there is something of interest to me. So last weekend I noticed a piece that just didn't fit so I changed my routine and got a buyer's number. In the midst of selling small miscellaneous items it pops up, I bid, the sale closed and I had won! Here is a picture of my new toy.
Yep, it's a 1925-ish Circular Sock Machine (CSM). Some attach to a tabletop but this one has legs attached. I just hope that my recent purchase of sizes 0-3 long circular knitting needles was not in vain. I have been searching for info about it and hoping the book I ordered will tell me how to feed and care for this machine. It seems to be in fairly good condition, no rust, and only a few slightly bent needles. What fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment